-->
My Own Private Kentucky
The musings, diatribes and outtakes from my life in Louisville, KY and Redwood City, CA. This is my third attempt at blogging; an attempt to keep in touch with friends around the world and a showcase for my burgeoning photographic skills. I take thousands of photos and show 10% of them. Like any treasure hunt, you search through tons of dirt before you find a jewel- tell me when you find one. And yes, that is Louisville above; a city of uniqueness in both architecture and persons.

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Saturday Excursion: Mammoth Cave



We spent Saturday exploring the nether regions of this planet at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky. Mammoth Cave is the largest cave system in the world encompassing over 350 miles of explored cave. Even today, they are still pushing the boundaries of the system deeper and deeper. We took the 4.5 hour Grand Avenue tour which included many of the popular tourist stops. The tour is not for the out of shape. Many a time, we had steep hikes up 60 degree inclines for over 100 feet. Unfortunately, most of the cave that is open to the public is what is known as a dry cave system. I remember when I was younger getting a chance to search the underground rivers for blind fish and shrimp- now locked away from prying eyes due to environmental damage of tourism.

Once my cast is removed, we plan on taking the Wild Cave tour which is the hands on, crawl through 2 foot holes, rappel up and down shafts, get down and dirty tour sometime this winter.

The pics are from my phone since I forgot to bring my camera and really do not due the cave justice. The size of the rooms are staggering at times and the passages evoke some primal feeling of safety.

0 comments: