-->
My Own Private Kentucky
The musings, diatribes and outtakes from my life in Louisville, KY and Redwood City, CA. This is my third attempt at blogging; an attempt to keep in touch with friends around the world and a showcase for my burgeoning photographic skills. I take thousands of photos and show 10% of them. Like any treasure hunt, you search through tons of dirt before you find a jewel- tell me when you find one. And yes, that is Louisville above; a city of uniqueness in both architecture and persons.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Safari Browser


I am so tired to hearing people extol the virtues of Macs that I decided I would try some of the available options; namely the browser Safari. I cannot buy a MAC since many of the programs in my field are not stable in MAC
- yes with boot camp you can run them- but we just got an email from IT telling us that anyone using boot camp to run their specialized programs may be in dire need of IT support in the near future since MAC will no longer support boot camp- so I will not chance a program crash that took a few weeks to run due to compatibility issues.

Anyway, Safari is available for Windows XP. By the way, I cannot use Vista for the same reasons as not using a MAC. The beta version claims to beat Firefox in speed- that has yet to be seen.

Here are my issues so far; since at least one of my readers is MAC user, please feel free to enlighten me.

1. NO NEW TAB BUTTON- come on MAC get with the game.

2. Print capability does not automatically detect network printer- yes, I use a network at home- so geeky, but with multiple computers between the 2 of us, it is a necessity.

3. Loading of pages is slower; but I assume that will change once the system stores my normal pages.

4. The cursor gets lost and somehow in Blogger editing becomes a hassle since the cursor can't keep up???

5. When I save something, why doesn't it ask me if I want to rename it?

6. Where are the ADD-INS? Firefox is so successful for that very point. Open the code MAC and let the world in. I applaud anyone who can overtake the Big Bad Wold Microsoft.

1 comments:

Spamouflage said...

Hey Chris. I have tried to use Safari on my PC at work but found it to be slower and clunkier than even Explorer. I use Safari 3 on my Macs at home and I honestly think it's the best browser for its streamlined features and excellent text rendering. If you're looking for extensions, Firefox will always be your top pick. I like my browsing to be simple and stylish, I can sacrifice a few "useful" extensions.